Newly-promoted Fulham will begin their Premier League 2020/21 campaign against a FA Cup and FA Community Shield winners Arsenal this weekend.
Premier League 2020/21 Fulham VS Arsenal Preview
Arsenal, haveing turned over a new leaf under Mikel Arteta. The Spaniard led the Gunners to two trophies last month, first winning the FA Cup before beating Premier League champions Liverpool for the FA Community Shield. Arsenal vs Fulham Highlights: Willian and Gabriel Shine on Arsenal debuts start to season
The 2019-20 season will ultimately go down as a successful one for the Gunners thanks to that triumph, but a lot more is expected of them in the Premier League this time around.
Last term’s eighth-placed finish was Arsenal’s lowest since 1995, not helped by a return of four wins in their opening 13 fixtures, which they ultimately failed to recover from.
The case of Fulham is different, with the Cottagers preparing for their first season back in the top flight after a one-year absence.
Fulham Coach Scott Parker achieved his mission of guiding the club back into the Premier League at the first attempt, although they had to do it the hard way by going through the playoffs.
A 2-1 win over bitter rivals Brentford on August 4 sealed a spot in the top division and Parker will now get his first proper shot at keeping Fulham in the division.
The Cottagers have played just one friendly since then, drawing 2-2 with MK Dons at the end of last month, despite Parker fielding a strong XI in the behind-closed-doors clash.
Arsenal will look to make the best possible start to their 2020/21 Premier League campaign when they travel to Fulham on Saturday at 12:30 PM.
- Fulham have lost each of their last five Premier League matches against Arsenal. The last time they were in the top-flight, in 2018/19, the Cottagers shipped in nine goals in their two games against the Gunners.
- Arsenal have lost just one of their last 13 Premier League games against Fulham (W8 D4). That loss came way back in January 2012, at Craven Cottage.
- This will be just the second time that Arsenal and Fulham are meeting on the opening day of the top-flight season. The previous instance came in 2007/08, which the Gunners won 2-1.
- Fulham have lost their last ten top-flight London derbies – all of which came in the 2018/19 campaign – the longest ever run by any club in top-flight history.
- Arsenal are facing a newly-promoted side on the opening matchday of a Premier League season for the fifth time. They have never lost such a fixture on the previous four occasions (W4 D1).
Latest Arsenal fixtures and where to watch :
As mentioned, Arsenal kick-start their Premier League season with a trip to Craven Cottage, while they then face West Ham, Liverpool and Sheffield United — with an EFL Cup clash with Leicester City in-between — in what is a tough set of opening fixtures.
- Fulham vs Arsenal (Saturday, 12/09): BT Sport 1
- Arsenal vs West Ham (Sunday, 20/09): Sky Sports Main Event
- Leicester vs Arsenal (Tuesday, 22/09) (EFL Cup)
- Liverpool vs Arsenal (Monday, 28/09): Sky Sports Main Event/Sky Sports Premier League
Arsenal and Fulham Form
Fulham pre-season form: D
Arsenal pre-season form: WW
Arsenal vs Fulham Possible Line Up
Fulham possible starting lineup:
Areola; Odoi, Ream, Hector, Bryan; Lemina, Reed, Cairney; Knockaert, Mitrovic, Cavaleiro
Arsenal possible starting lineup:
Martinez; Saliba, Holding, Tierney; Bellerin, Ceballos, Xhaka, Maitland-Niles; Pepe, Nketiah, Aubameyang
Prediction: Fulham 0-2 Arsenal